Edgewood High School

Edgewood High School
Edgewood High School

Reunion Committee

  • REUNION COMMITTEE:
  • Randy Russell
  • Joni Roberts Upshaw,
  • Johm Snyder,
  • Jim McCartney,
  • Jeanne Hulen Donie,
  • Herb Strickler,
  • Glenn Jenks,

BIOGRAPHIES

What Our Classmates Did After Graduation

Sharon Brubach Narins

Graduated with BA from Pitt in 1968. Married to David Narins for 17 years with two children, Joshua (40) and Rachael (38). Married to Bill Rapone for 17 years (next week) and have his four children and their children as family too. Jules (44), Anthony (42), Mary Jo (40) and Ted (34). Three grandchildren: Sami (Anthony), 16; Taylor (Mary Jo), 8 and Rider, (Jules), 3.
I taught for a while and then married and left Pgh. for New York City. Three years later I moved to NH where we lived on an 18 acre farm in Rochester. My children were born there. Later moved to New Mexico (3 years) and NJ (23 years at two separate times) and then to FL, where we currently reside. In NJ I worked for Chubb Insurance Company as an underwriter. I retired from Chubb.

I have been so lucky to have been able to travel my whole adult life. I've been to places I had read about and dreamed of visiting: Tunisia, Afghanistan (before Russians took over), Greece, Turkey, Italy, Chile, Peru, Japan, and many more countries. David Narins was a pilot and we flew for practically free. My husband Bill and I still fly for free with those airmiles programs many people think don't work. In the last five years alone, those airmiles took us to Italy three times, to Hawaii, Alaska. Next year in July we'll use them for a trip to Sweden, Denmark and Russia. No doubt, I am lucky (knocking on my wooden head).

I paint. My work can be seen at Gallery East in Belleview, Florida. Painting is my passion and I cannot express my pleasure at being afforded time and health to do so.
I often paint subjects from mythology, thanks to an interest sparked by Miss Ireland and ignited by reading and travel. It surprises me when my paintings sell and they do sell.

I have not been successful in the usual sense of the word, but as my Aunt Ethel used to say when asked how she was doing, "I'm doing."

Not much of a bucket list for me because I've been able to experience so much : living in New York City with free tickets to Sol Hurock concerts and the opera and ballet and theater; living on a farm and working it; living in suburbia (Monclair, NJ); retiring in a golf community. There are those youthful dreams, of course, that I am learning to accept eluded me. I will never be an archeologist (but then, my aching back.....). It is too late to run away and join a camel train off the Steppes of Central Asia, though I have seen a camel train wind its way in to a once.a.month market south of Mazar I Shariff. Standing on a carpet I was thinking of buying, I was surrounded by men who stared. Perhaps they had never seen a Western woman. Their "banker" (sitting at a 2x3 table in a hole in a wall without a roof) had never seen a check. He took it and I fretted that it did not clear. More than a half a year later someone got to a town and found someone who knew what to do with it. Relief.

I don't know if I'll make it to the Reunion, but I may. I look forward to hearing what you've done with your lives (so far).

No comments:

Post a Comment